Embedded C Course (Level 0)
This course is targeted at recent engineering / science graduates who may have learned about traditional ‘Event Triggered’ (or interrupt-driven) embedded systems during their degree course. In this course, we introduce ‘Time Triggered’ (TT) architectures. Designs based on TT architectures are generally found to be more reliable than equivalent ET designs, which is why they are employed in products ranging from “white” goods, intruder-alarm systems and general monitoring systems through to industrial, automotive, medical and aerospace systems.
All the examples in this course are in the ‘C’ programming language.
Key features of this course
- A consistent focus on designing code that is safe and reliable.
- Course begins with the study of ARM architecture.
- A crash course on ‘C’ is included in the course itself, in case your skills are a little rusty.
- Use of TI CCS IDE
Creating a Simple Embedded OS; this is the starting point in learning about RTOS.
- Learning about a single interrupt approach to carry out different tasks.
- Internationally-recognized certificate provided for successful candidates.
- Boost your profile for Post Graduation in overseas universities.
- Open up career opportunities in mission critical industries.
- Program using Texas Instruments MSP432 ARM Cortex M4 kit.
After completing the course, participants should:
- Understand ARM Cortex M4 architecture.
- Use features of ‘C’ to create structured embedded code.
- Write code that is reliable and responsive.
- Be comfortable with designing code that adheres to timing constraints.
- Understand the necessity of an Embedded OS.
- Understand the ‘One Interrupt per Microcontroller Rule’ in the design of TT systems.
- Understand the basic building blocks of RTOS.
- Be ready to go to the next certification level .
Familiarity with Windows OS, good knowledge of binary number system and digital electronics. Familiarity with ‘C’ language would be an advantage.
- Overview of ARM architecture.
- Memory map of the ARM Cortex-Mx microcontroller.
- Timers of MSP432.
- Machine cycle and oscillator frequency calculations.
- SysTick Timer and its use in an Embedded OS.
- Crash Course on C programming with focus on loops, functions, function prototypes, variable declaration and definition , pointers , typedefs , macros ,unsigned numbers .
- CCS environment.
Creating project, building the target and running the code on target board.
- Understanding Energy trace in CCS.
- Reading Switches, Controlling Multi-colored LED.
- Structuring Code and Object Oriented programming with C.
- Real Time constraints.
- Creating a small Embedded OS.
- Multistate systems and function sequences.
- Generating PWM signal.
- Traffic signal system using FSM.
- Watchdog timer and their use in recovery from failure.
- Serial Port programming of MSP432.
Mode of assessment for CERTIFICATION
Closed book exam with university-style conditions.
Planned exercises that would be submitted by candidates during the course.
On successful completion of the course candidates will receive LEVEL 0 Certification from SafeTTy Systems.